Sunday, February 24, 2013

National Day of Tereré

Since last year, Paraguay celebrates the 23rd of February as the national day of Tereré, which is the official drink of the country and a cultural heritage of the nation. Both Yoe Jin and I went to the reunion de jovenes (a gathering of young adults at Marangatu Church) yesterday and there were so many jovenes carrying the following in celebration of the day:



Tereré is yerba mate prepared with cold water in a vessel called a guampa and is sipped through a bombilla. A thermos is used to carry the cold water.

1 comment:

  1. Greetings. My name is Siya and I would like your help. I work with an organization here in Paraguay and one of my tasks is to make posters to raise awareness about specific days celebrated in the country. I have been able to get the nationally and internationally recognized days but haven't been able to get dates like national Terere day, Chipa day, etc.- may I please get help with this regard.

    ReplyDelete