Monday, February 11, 2013

Fuerza!


We went to our first Sunday service yesterday at Marangatu. I had forgotten how welcoming the Marangatu church members (or just Paraguayans) were. Pastor Cho and his wife Gina went on stage to say thank you to the congregation and also encourage them. Pastor Cho spoke on the different gifts in his life: 1. his salvation 2. his wife 3. being called to serve in Paraguay as a missionary. Although it was a place that he didn't initially want to go to, God allowed him to grow to love Paraguay.... It was quite an emotional moment for the both of them and I was so encouraged to witness one family's love for the Paraguayan church... A love that has overflown from the deep love of our Father. God's grace indeed runs deep and continues to flow.

Pastor Cho and Gina SMN on the pulpit for the first time in a year and a half.
On Sunday, I was reminded once again that community is so important. We need brothers and sisters to remind us to take heart and have fuerza (Something I have been hearing a lot from the Paraguayans here; literal translation: "Strength!")!!! Not fuerza in our own power, but fuerza in the Lord's unending power! One of the sisters at Marangatu wasn't feeling well after service and sat in the pews, wiping her tears. Another member, who serves as a nurse, was tending to her, speaking soft truths into her ear. FUERZA! One of the pastors, Cristian Jara, welcomed me and reminded me that the Espiritu Santo (Holy Spirit) works powerfully, so to not lose heart while here. FUERZA!

It was pouring last night starting about 7pm and continued up till this morning... It was my first dose of Paraguayan rain. To be honest, I was a little scared being at the house by myself during the thunder and lightening, but I just kept saying to myself "Fuerza!"

It has been a constant struggle not to be able to communicate freely and comfortably with the Paraguayans, but fuerza! Teaching at school today was really difficult but fuerza!... moving around from classroom to classroom with all of our teaching materials was tiring but fuerza! Countless mosquito and spider bites and feeling scared to sleep in our beds in fear of bugs... but fuerza!!!!!!!!

Before I stepped into my second classroom today (first day of class), a brother from church stopped me to say hello, shake my hand, and remind me FUERZA with a fist in the air. Truly a Spirit-filled moment reminding me of Christ's energy which works so powerfully within us.

Yes, Joe and I are struggling, both emotionally and physically, but FUERZA en el nombre de Jesus!!!

In about fifteen minutes, we are about to meet with our Spanish tutor, Marciel, a true man of God who never neglects prayer. Even though it is so easy to grow discouraged with our Spanish improvement, fuerza.

 (Here's a video of Marciel showing us his wonderful Paraguayan guitar skills)

Please continue to pray for us as we teach, serve the Marangatu church, and build relationships with those we encounter! It's easy to complain (so so so easy LOL), but God's will is for us to rejoice always, pray without ceasing, and give thanks in all circumstances. For Him. Please pray that we do that!

3 comments:

  1. Yoe Jin! For the first like 2 paragraphs I was reading it in Joe's voice and then I thought to myself:

    1) "Joe sure is using a lot of exclamation marks in this entry..."
    2) "Joe is afraid of thunder...?"

    And I finally realized it was you who was writing hahaha. I think it's because right before this I was reading Joe's e-mail.

    Anyway, I'm glad to hear you're both doing well even though it may be physically and emotionally demanding. I will do my best to keep you two in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL I totally thought it was Joe writing this too!!

    Such an encouraging post. FUERZA a ustedes! Estamos orando por ti y Jose :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay for updates! Praying for you guys!

    ReplyDelete